WHAT IS THE GOSPEL?
The word gospel is literally translated good news. It carries with it the idea of a messenger who tells of this news. The gospel is not a what, but rather a who. The gospel is Jesus himself. It is His very person and work.
- God the Father created you with dignity, worth, and value for joy and flourishing.
- Our first parents, Adam and Eve, introduced sin into the world. Ever since we have all fallen short of the perfect plan and standard, He intended.
- God the Son, Jesus, stepped into time and history to recover and redeem what was lost in the world and in our lives.
- Jesus substituted Himself for us. In His crucifixion, Jesus transfers to us His sinless life and righteousness. We transfer to Him our sinful life and penalty.
- Three days later, He conquered sin, Satan, and death in literal, bodily resurrection. In doing so, He put to rest any speculation about His identity or authority.
- We are saved and transformed by grace alone through faith alone in Jesus.
- We now have a new future promised to us as heaven-bound citizens.
- Until that day, God the Spirit fills us and helps us with strength and conviction. Similarly, the Bible fills us and helps us with knowledge and wisdom.
- The combined authority of Spirit and Scripture enables us to live different lives that honor God, albeit imperfectly. This is the essence and purpose of the local church.