CONNECT WITH OTHERS
1. What kinds of things make you feel nervous or scared? Share a story about a time you felt that way.
OPEN IN PRAYER
FOCUS ON THE PASSAGE
2. Review the story of David and Goliath in 1 Samuel 17. What sticks out to you in this passage? If you’ve heard or read this story before, is there anything new that you don’t remember?
ADMIT WHERE YOU ARE
3. How have recent events impacted your faith life? Are you more or less prayerful? Are you reading your Bible more or less often? Why do you think that is?
4. In general, would you say you are a more fearful person or a more faith-filled person? Does it change with your circumstances? Why?
INTERPRET THE PASSAGE
5. Read 2 Timothy 1:7. If we know that fear is not from God and that it is destructive and forbidden, why is it so hard to not be fearful?
6. The Israelites Focused only on the problem, Expected to be defeated, had an Attitude of self-destruction, and Ran from their problems. Which one of these most describes your reaction to current events?
TAKE THIS PASSAGE INTO YOUR LIFE
7. David was Focused on God, Anticipated God’s help, Insisted on being involved, Took time to prepare, and Had an impact on everyone around him. Which one of these actions will you focus on this week? How will you practically do that?
8. Think of someone who needs to hear this message or needs to be encouraged to choose faith over fear. How can you help them to do that?
HEAR FROM GOD
9. Are there other fear-filled areas you feel God is prompting to you change in your life?
CLOSE IN PRAYER